Indiana Rivers
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yes! a paddlers alliance should form.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Rivers Forum Index -> Indiana Paddlers Alliance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danpaddles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Yes! a paddlers alliance should form. Reply with quote

I think we need a statewide Indiana Paddlers Group. An easy to use listing of all groups will help new paddlers to find their best fit. And many of us are active with more than one group. What groups might I have missed? Soon we will be able to see them all.

This forum is a great start! Now we need to populate it with accurate descriptions of clubs; their rules, philosophies, and special interests. Accurate contact info is needed too.

I am especially glad to see the Special Paddling Events section. The reason you couldn't find much about IPR is because they have no one to code and post a web page. This forum will be very important to the future success of such events.

You've done a great job here Eric, thanks a bunch. I'm eager to see how this all evolves in coming weeks.

-Dan

dbrier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on board.

Dale
dbrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just us?

The more I participate in the Alliance planning, the more I see paddlers, access and recreation being moved to the side in favor of water quality, riparian buffers, and pollution. Sad While we need those things too, I was hoping the group would end up being a 50/50 mix of recreation and water quality. That is not happening.
dbrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just us?

The more I participate in the Alliance planning, the more I see paddlers, access and recreation being moved to the side in favor of water quality, riparian buffers, and pollution. Sad While we need those things too, I was hoping the group would end up being a 50/50 mix of recreation and water quality. That is not happening.
Phantom Paddler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Paddlers Alliance Reply with quote

I think it's necessary toward encouraging tourism and and the like to demonstrate that we are all in communication with one-another and aren't just a random bunch of paddlers.

I certainly could use the advice and expertise of people I know are out there, but don't have regular contact with. Idea

"With water, we are blessed and cursed;
Both by its excesses and by our thirst"
-self, 2007
Wabash Riverkeeper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There already is the Hoosier Canoe Club and the Indiana Paddlers Rendezvous. Why not join forces with existing groups rather than re-invent it?
That's my 2 cents.

techedge

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: joining forces would be great! Reply with quote

Hopefully the event and group you mention would join forces...right now they are only casually linked. Neither is trying to grow to be a common thread that binds the paddling community together. The current skipper of the Hoosier Canoe Club is one of the people that brought this whole issue up....so he does not see it as duplication.

The Indiana Paddlers Rendezvous is a one time annual event. The Hoosier Canoe Club is specifically not an advocacy group. Who keeps a list of the river groups? Who would help paddlers advocate for more access points? Who lists all of the paddling groups in the state?

I do not think there is any group or persons that are advocating for the paddler.....look at what the mountain biking advocacy groups are accomplishing! Look at what the Hoosier Hikers Council has done! Imagine what could be done if there was a coalition of the paddling groups and paddling community that could bring light on 5 main issues per year!
Wabash Riverkeeper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I didn't realize you were talking about an advocacy group. I thought that was a different thread...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Rivers Forum Index -> Indiana Paddlers Alliance All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: