Indiana Rivers
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whitewater Canoe Rental?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Rivers Forum Index -> Whitewater River - served by a livery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaconGrease

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Whitewater Canoe Rental? Reply with quote

I know they are not listed as a sponsor on the indianaoutfitters page but I was wondering if anyone has had an experience with them. My church is organizing a trip down the whitewater river and the person in charge is talking about using them. I am going on the trip but I have my own gear (canoes and a kayak) and I was wondering how friendly they were with regards to shuttling me and my gear or even allowing me to put my gear in on their property. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: recommend that you use morgans instead Reply with quote

Whitewater canoe rental acts as though they own the river. Morgans will allow you to use their private ramp to launch and will haul your boat if you want too. I would use them instead.
BaconGrease

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whitewater canoe rental acts as though they own the river.

I wondered about that. I looked at their website and saw something about how some 1800 law was repealed so they were going to charge you a $2 pass to float by their property Mad . Last time I checked rivers weren't owned by anyone.

I'm not in charge of putting this float trip together so I'm not sure if I can get them to change vendors but I'll try. Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any firsthand experience with them?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: You are smart Reply with quote

Absolutely.....all flowing water is public water. The Whitewater river is considered a navigable stream. It is public land up to the average high water mark as judged by the vegetation.

Do you want to pay somebody money who wants to take your ownership rights away? Or do you want to use a friendly canoe livery? 'nuff said
Green Acres Canoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: self-owned kayaks Reply with quote

We are located on the southern section of the Whitewater river near Cincinnati. We will transport peoples kayaks for a fee of $10. Our website is www.greenacrescanoe.com
cwjohnson73

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indiana list of rivers that are navigable by law

http://www.in.gov/nrc/2390.htm

John Krukemeier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Whitewater Canoe rental? Reply with quote

"It is public land up to the average high water mark as judged by the vegetation."

This is NOT true according to two different conservation officers that I have asked. The water is public, but the land below the water is private. Anything (anchor, paddle, sinker, etc) that touches the bottom is technically a trespass violation unless written permission has been granted by the property owner.

In Montana the land under the water up to the normal high water line IS public.
I wish Indiana would adopt Montana's laws on this matter.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: the truth on river bank ownership Reply with quote

it depends if the river is considered navigable or non navigable.....the west fork of whitewater is navigable and thus is public land up to the average high water mark.

check the bottom of http://www.indianaoutfitters.com/riverclickable.htm page and there are links to the Indiana navigability list and also the details on the law about river ownership.

The CO's do not always know...they are not lawyers and they may not know the truth about this.
John Krukemeier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your source for the "truth" in this matter?

I would love to see something in writing like the actual law.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: river law Reply with quote

did you look at the national rivers link I put up?.....it has the actual law and also has the brief from the court case for every case that has been adjudicated on the subject.

in addition it explains the law in english
John Krukemeier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did find the actual law identified (chapter and verse).

It seems that most of the "law" is actually made through court rulings, but that is good enough for me. Too bad that states like Wyoming ignore the federal ruling. Unfortunately, all too often the "law" is based upon decisions made for the litigant with the deepest pockets.

Thanks for the link.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: river law Reply with quote

the shame is that misinformation gets spread around and then next thing you know Indiana's largest parks (the rivers) are no longer free to camp, fish, and enjoy.

If you find the actual law then I will link to it. I am no lawyer, but I think it is like a constitutional right of being an Indiana citizen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Rivers Forum Index -> Whitewater River - served by a livery All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: