Indiana Rivers
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sugar Creek Logjam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Rivers Forum Index -> Sugar Creek - Crawfordsville - served by Liveries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kayakmike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Sugar Creek Logjam Reply with quote

If anyone has a destination point of Jackson or West Union Bridges, or the Wabash River at Montezuma, please read this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/merlin3d/sets/72157623871973724/
Zehner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sugar Creek Logjam Reply with quote

kayakmike wrote:
If anyone has a destination point of Jackson or West Union Bridges, or the Wabash River at Montezuma, please read this.

Has this changed? I'm planning a weekend trip from Cox Ford to Montezoma, so I'd be going through this stretch.

has it been cleaned up?

If not, where do I need too pull out and start to portage?

Thanks.
kayakmike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zehner,
I will go down there tomorrow to see if there are any strainers left in this stretch. I would venture to say that either Sugar Valley or Turkey Run rentals have made this passage safe. Will update tomorrow.

Mike
kayakmike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went there this afternoon and the new channel is still treacherous. There are at least two trees spanning the creek. I attempted to paddle upstream over the first tree, but the current was too swift. Found 2 tubes in the strainers where the pictures were taken.

This is located 5-6 miles downstream of the US 41 bridge. There is a major logjam on the right side of the creek where it diverted the flow. You can see where the old creek bed is just prior to the log jam on the right. You can portage there as the bed is easily traversed. It is a 200-300 yard portage until you reach the former creek channel that is deep enough to float.

I would advise that you take out at West Union bridge as I have heard reports that there is an impassable log jam in between there and the Wabash River.

Have a good time and be safe. The weekend trips are awesome.
Mike

Sugar2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.03 KB
 Viewed:  14446 Time(s)

Sugar2.jpg

Sugar1_.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.57 KB
 Viewed:  14446 Time(s)

Sugar1_.jpg

Zehner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I did it today (June 4th). And, yeah, that log is all the way across the left hand channel.

We'd read this thread and knew there was something ahead, so we were forewarned and had plenty of time to think about what to do. The current was slow enough, and the water at the right level, so we canoed right up to the log, and then sat on the log and lifted our canoe up over the log to the other side.

I sure wouldn't recommend this as a plan for others, since a faster current would have meant trouble. Anyone going that way needs to pause before committing to the left-hand channel to think about the conditions at the moment and what their abilities will permit.

Otherwise, we had a great paddle. We went from Cox Ford to Montezuma, saw two mature bald eagles and probably five juveniles, a red-tailed hawk, a deer, two beavers, more great blue herons that we cared to count, a couple of green herons, several kingfishers, a baltimore oriole, and several more familiar birds. Surprisingly only one turtle. We did the whole paddle in five hours. There was not another boat on the water or person on the bank anywhere from 10am to 3pm.

Z

NB: When I say "left-hand channel" I am assuming going down stream. Kayakmike was going up stream in his report, so his left and my left are different.
Zehner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the obstruction.

As i noted, it was passable today by lifting my canoe over it. But another time when the water is running faster that may be dangerous.
Zehner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We canoed the section with the log jam again today -- July 14th -- and the channel is open.

It is still pretty hazardous, because there are still a lot of fallen logs in the water (from both sides) and the open channel is not very obvious. We had to back-paddle while we planned our approach, and we had to do lot of fending off with our hands and paddles. But still we managed to get past the obstruction while staying in our canoe this time.

Does everyone understand that the old ox-bow channel is completely closed now?

Our trip today was great. Two inches of rain fell day before yesterday, and the Crawfordsville gage was at about 3 feet. There was plenty of water.

We saw 4 or 5 eagles, including three (two adults and a juvenile) at once. Another adult dropped out of a tree right in front of us and flew down the stream in front of us about a quarter mile, then perched again and watched us as we floated underneath the tree it was perched in.
oldtownlooner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad we didn't do the lower 11.5 miles trip because of this log jam. With the water level, I probably could have gotten over it, but if it scares people on here, then it must be dangerous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Rivers Forum Index -> Sugar Creek - Crawfordsville - served by Liveries All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: