Indiana Rivers
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Man, that river's low!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zehner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Man, that river's low! Reply with quote

My daughter and I ran the 40-mile stretch from Lafayette to Covington a couple of days ago. The Wabash is 8-10 feet below normal levels.

There was always a deep channel somewhere in the river bed. There was always some path where the river was deeper than a canoe paddle. But that deep channel was often not very wide and it was hard to stay in it. We'd be happily floating along and then scraaaaape! We'd have to figure out which direction to move and then wallow sideways until we regained deep water. But we never had to get out and drag our canoe forward as you often have to do in Sugar Creek even in ordinary years.

We encountered a very few fishermen on the bank and one hydroplane boat near Attica.

I don't know how this drought affects the wildlife. I would think the shallow water is a boon to the eagles and herons, since the fish are so much nearer the surface. We saw bunches of great blue herons, about 15 egrets, and probably a dozen or 15 bald eagles. (It is always hard to know how many individuals you see because the same bird will fly downstream and roost again. If we counted everytime we saw a bird, we'd overestimate the number of individuals.) I was dragging a lure behind the canoe and caught Asian carp . . . . until a big one snapped the line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Rivers Forum Index -> Wabash River All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: