Indiana Rivers
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flatrock River, 650 S to 1050 S near Moscow - July 2014

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Rivers Forum Index -> Flatrock River -
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndianaOutfitters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Flatrock River, 650 S to 1050 S near Moscow - July 2014 Reply with quote

The following trip report was submitted by www.IndianaOutfitters.com user Thom Crouch:

Flatrock River, Rush County, 650 S to 1050 S
Put-in: covered bridge, 10:15 am. No immediate parking, but there are some parking spots very close by used by fishermen.
Take out: 5:10 pm, 1050 S. There is vehicular access via a dirt road from the northeast corner of the bridge down to the water. I doubt parking would be a problem.
Water levels: Rushville USGS gauge height 4.7 ft
St Paul USGS GH 0.94 ft, discharge 130 cfps

After hearing a verbal report from the weekend before that 4.7 ft was good with only a few scraped bottoms, we were anxious to give her a go! Wrong. The first third of the trip was so shallow we scraped almost every set rapids. Not enough to stand up and pull, but enough to stop your craft and have to begin the boat-scootin'-boogie. Another 6" of water would probably be perfect.

The terrain was phenomenal! High rock walls the second 2/3rds. Rapids every other bend. Great fishing! (15 keeper-sized between the two of us). Mostly red-eye and Large mouth bass. The covered bridges, the one at 650 S and in Moscow aren't much to look at from the water as they have both been covered with protective aluminum siding. Bummer.

Starting just south of Moscow it was almost like we entered the Land of the Lost TV show. Large ferns, mossy boulders, numerous islands, a 10-15 minute set of rapids, a 20 ft tall rock wall leaning out over the water... Gorgeous! There might have even been a couple of Pterodactyls sighted, but that was probably just the corn-squeezin's talking... (Did I say that out loud?)

I had been anticipating a set of falls most of the day and they didn't disappoint! I did get hung up a couple of times just above them, but the water going over the left side was perfect! About a 3 ft drop and I made it! The water at the base was only 3 ft deep so we unloaded our gear and did it two more times! (Unsuccessfully). Well worth the trip! A quick shot down to the bridge and we were dragging out at 5:10 pm. We did a LOT of fishing and spent about 45 minutes at the falls so the trip could have been done in maybe 4/12 to 5 1/2 hours?

This trip would have been perfect without the almost constant scraping on the bottom. No portages. Would recommend with 5 ft or more water on Rushville gauge. Not sure how high would be too high for the falls. 4.7 ft was good there. Most beautiful trip yet, but I still feel like the East Fork Whitewater from Abington to SR 44 was more exciting. With a little bit more water, I think this stretch would take the prize!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Rivers Forum Index -> Flatrock River - All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: