Indiana Rivers
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restricted Parking at Cox Ford Covered Bridge Public Access

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Rivers Forum Index -> Sugar Creek - Crawfordsville - served by Liveries
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Restricted Parking at Cox Ford Covered Bridge Public Access Reply with quote

I just discovered the changes that have taken place at the Cox Ford Access (on Saturday, May 29th, 2010). I was perhaps even more surprised that nobody had posted any word of it (that I can find anyway) here on the forum. There are a very limited number of permit required parking spaces at this access point now. Apparently they are first come, first served and when they are gone they are gone, even though yesterday we arrived late enough that several of them where already empty, the signs say the permits are available at the Turkey Run Park Office. We looked into parking at the Go Kart facility across the bridge but She did not want me to park there, even when I offered her $20.00 in an attempt to salvage our trip. She said they may consider adding parking space for this purpose in the future but for now their Go Kart customers need all of their available parking. She said the Canoe Livery people had congested the public access site so much, that the state made the changes mid summer of last year. The liveries caused the problem and the state's solution has resticted the available parking to the extent that you almost have to use a canoe livery to run perhaps the most popular creek segment in the state.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: about the parking restrictions at Cox Ford Reply with quote

Is this a big deal?

Are there times when the parking spaces at the Cox Ford takeout are all filled? My only experience there has been that ours was the only vehicle around.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the reply I received from Gary Warmouth regarding the parking restrictions. March 08, 2010 10:41 AM.

"I have been asked to respond to your concerns about Cox Ford Access. The changes we have undertaken
have come about as a result of little or no control of the accesses. These accesses include Cox Ford, Brush
Creek, and Deer's Mill. I take your comments as you feel the rentals or liveries have taken over the use of
Sugar Creek or exert too much control by the sheer number of equipment rented. If this is accurate this
is one of the reasons the access regulations have been implemented and that is to permit equal use of the
accesses by everyone.

The parking problem has existed for many years. Vehicles were towed when they were blocking the access
or deemed abandoned. Vehicles and equipment have been left causing congestion to these small areas which
are not large enough to provide adequate parking during busy times.

The large number of variables of these accesses, and many are different at each access, make it extremely
difficult to make use regulations that will fit every user's requests. Some of these are:
>the small physical size of the accesses.
>the different demands by seasons or the day of the week.
>what are the main use(s) of the access (canoeists, fishermen,
>the lack of cooperation of some users have necessitated
regulations that set limits on their use.
>the need for limits to be set on some uses that negatively impact
the accesses.

In reference to the improvements at the areas are designed to protect the areas from further damage and to
aid in the control of the areas (not to be able to charge for parking).

In reference to who authorized the changes, all the accesses mentioned are part of Turkey Run and Shades
State Parks. The Division of State Parks has the responsibility to protect the areas designated as state parks
and to provide for quality outdoor recreation facilities. Setting use regulations on these areas are no different
than having hiking regulations, camping regulations, and other policies and regulations that help us to administer
our facilities and activities.

I can assure you that our goal was not to inconvenience users such as yourself who use Cox Ford for access to
fish Sugar Creek. However, as changes are implemented the results may limit what has been permitted in the

We have assigned five (5) parking spaces for longer parking than the normal 30 minute normal limit. The policy on obtaining parking permits is currently under review and should be available in the next couple of days. Please feel
free to contact the park office at Turkey Run State Park at 765-597-2635 for further information.

I hope this information helps explain a very difficult process and some of reasons for the changes."

Gary Warmouth, Property Manager
Turkey Run & Shades State Parks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion brought on a a somewhat heated debate in the Hoosier Canoe Club Bulletin Board.

It seems the state is trying to persuade the gullible into believing that canoe outfitters have more of a right to the state owned public access points than do the general public with their own equipment.

Cox Ford has approximately 30 parking spaces but yet a mere 5 spaces are allocated for the "common folk". Pathetic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Indiana Rivers Forum Index -> Sugar Creek - Crawfordsville - served by Liveries All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: